How do you appease someone?
If you try to appease someone, you try to stop them from being angry by giving them what they want. He was accused of trying to appease both groups.
What does appease mean in sentence?
to bring to a state of peace, quiet, ease, calm, or contentment; pacify; soothe: to appease an angry king. to satisfy, allay, or relieve; assuage: The fruit appeased his hunger. to yield or concede to the belligerent demands of (a nation, group, person, etc.)
What’s the difference between please and appease?
As verbs the difference between appease and please
is that appease is to make quiet; to calm; to reduce to a state of peace; to dispel (anger or hatred) while please is to make happy or satisfy; to give pleasure.
Is appease a negative word?
Appease is being used in the sense of soothing or pacifying. Adults don’t need to be soothed or pacified. I would interpret “Bob did what he could to appease them.” to imply that he did not agree with their position, but he attempted to placate them anyway. It’s “kind of a negative” word.
How do you use the word appease?
Appease sentence example
- He came to help her, to appease his guilt once and for all. …
- Would that appease you, Gabriel? …
- Unwilling to appease the man she didn’t like, she made no effort to match his pace. …
- He just wore them to appease her.
What do you call a person that gets angry easily?
1. Irritable, testy, touchy, irascible are adjectives meaning easily upset, offended, or angered. Irritable means easily annoyed or bothered, and it implies cross and snappish behavior: an irritable clerk, rude and hostile; Impatient and irritable, he was constantly complaining.
What is an example of appeasement?
An example of appeasement is the infamous 1938 Munich Agreement, in which Great Britain sought to avoid war with Nazi Germany and Fascist Italy by taking no action to prevent Italy’s invasion of Ethiopia in 1935 or Germany’s annexation of Austria in 1938.
How do you use appeasement in a sentence?
Appeasement in a Sentence
- The appeasement of the angry mob was only possible when the governor spoke to their leader and came to an agreement.
- The appeasement of angry Greek and Roman gods could often be bought with pretty pottery or sweet wines.
Is appeasing a real word?
verb (used with object), ap·peased, ap·peas·ing. to bring to a state of peace, quiet, ease, calm, or contentment; pacify; soothe: to appease an angry king.
What is the best synonym for appeasing?
synonyms for appease
What is appeasement simple?
noun. the policy of acceding to the demands of a potentially hostile nation in the hope of maintaining peace.
What does appease mean in history?
Appeasement, Foreign policy of pacifying an aggrieved country through negotiation in order to prevent war. The prime example is Britain’s policy toward Fascist Italy and Nazi Germany in the 1930s.
What word means thankful for?
modifier adjective. grateful. The definition of grateful is feeling or showing thanks or appreciation for something. 180.
Why did Britain appease Germany?
Instituted in the hope of avoiding war, appeasement was the name given to Britain’s policy in the 1930s of allowing Hitler to expand German territory unchecked. … Chamberlain – and the British people – were desperate to avoid the slaughter of another world war.